We use affiliate links and when a purchase is made we may receive a small commission. Read more about us.
Having rain gear in your boat or when you fish from land is essential equipment that will be used if you fish long enough. Having the best rain gear for fishing can keep you dry and comfortable when the weather turns. In addition, staying comfortable can keep you safe and on the water longer during bad weather.
We review the top rain gear to stay dry when the rain starts falling. From men to women, we got you covered.
When it comes to fishing in the rain, having the right gear is essential. You need something that will keep you dry and comfortable while you’re out on the water. But with so many different options available, it can be hard to know what to look for. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the best rain gear
Our Top Picks for Rain Fishing Gear
- Best overall: FROGG TOGGS Men’s standard Classic Rain Suite
- Best rain gear for men: Simms Men’s Challenger Rain Gear
- Best rain gear for woman: RainRider Rain Suits
- Best heavy-duty rain gear: Rain suits for men woman heavy duty rain gear
- Best lightweight rain gear: Classic Rain Suits for Mean Breathable Rain Gear
- Best cost-effective rain gear: Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite Rain Suite
Rain Gear Fishing Comparison Chart
1. Best Overall
Our top choice in rain gear for men is FROGG TOGGS’s classic rain suit. The fully tapered and sealed seams help to keep water out while letting your range of motion not be inhibited. The adjustable removal hood is another feature we love. The adjustable elastic waist and leg opening help keep your rain suit snug on your body. The polypropylene nonwoven fabric blend uses DRIPORE Gen 2 of a middle layer for both win and waterproof-resistant material. This rain suit allows for both comfort and breathability for comfort that lasts all day long.
- WATERPROOF – Fully Seam Taped Jacket and Pant Rain Suit designed with FROGG TOGG’S Exclusive Polypropylene nonwoven fabric blend, with a DRIPORE GEN 2 middle layer for Waterproof, Wind-Resistant and breathability all day comfort
- JACKET FEATURES – Adjustable and removable hood, full length parka fits over pants to avoid run off transfer, front zip and Snap down storm flap, elastic cuffs to keep elements out and raglan sleeves for freedom of movement
- PANTS FEATURES – Pull on adjustable elastic waist, adjustable leg openings, 4-panel cut straight leg design
- DURABILITY – The perfect rain suit for hiking, biking, ATV, hunting, fishing, or any outdoor activity where waterproof breathability is a must
- LIGHTWEIGHT and FLEXIBLE – Unique Polypropylene nonwoven fabric provides a quiet and supple waterproof jacket and pant at an incredible value
Flexible & Durable
Waterproof fully seam taped jacket and pants
Not for heavy-duty use
Could feel bulky and some reviews state even small is large
2. Best Men’s rain gear
Simms is a very well-known brand in the fishing and outdoor industry both fresh and saltwater. The Simms Men’s Challenger Waterproof fishing raincoat uses advanced technology that helps to keep the users both dry and warm using a micro-porous waterproof coating that helps with 2-layer coasted fabric. This rain jacket is 100 percent waterproof that uses taped seams and a w YKK water-resist zipper. The fully adjustable jacket also helps get the proper fit while still being comfortable.
- CHALLENGER WATERPROOF FISHING JACKET: Indecisive weather calls for an unfazed ally. With functional fishing features and an adjustable storm hood, the waterproof-breathable Simms Challenger Jacket keeps you warm, dry and focused through it all. Reflective Simms logos are placed on the chest and back.
- TORAY FABRIC TECHNOLOGY: This raincoat features Toray fabric technology. This technology was developed specifically for fishing jackets and waders. The QuadraLam fabric featured in the Challenger jacket is a heavy-duty engineered fabric with a micro-porous waterproof coating that utilizes 2-layer coated fabric, a single membrane layer and a tricot backer to offer improved durability.
- WATERPROOF ANGLER JACKET: This angler jacket is completely waterproof. It features 100% taped seams, and YKK water-resistant zippers. The taped seams prevent water leakage when you’re fishing in the rain or heavy winds. The YKK nylon zippers ensure your zippers will not corrode over time.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE COMFORTABLE JACKET: This waterproof jacket is completely adjustable. It has a dual draw-cord adjustable bottom, a 3-point adjustable Storm Hood in the collar, a center-front zipper Storm Flap, a zippered chest pocket, and an interior sunglasses chamois. It also features a kill switch attachment loop on the bottom of the hem for watercraft safety.
- CHALLENGER FISHING JACKET CARE: Machine wash gentle cycle or hand wash. Use cold water and normal detergent that does not contain bleach. Tumble dry low to reactivate Durable Water Repellent treatment.
YKK water-resistant zippers
Micro-porous waterproof coating
Arms may run long
3. Best rain gear for woman
For the woman out there looking for the top rain gear for fishing, the RainRider rain suit makes a great choice. It is made of 100 percent Polyester. This rain jacket and pants set uses MircoWeld seam construction that helps to protect against leaking. This model uses an underarm and back flap for ventilation and has a stowable hood. We also like the price point on this rain gear.
- Stretch knit rain suit waterproof rain jacket and pants are made of 100% Polyester.
- Durable fabric, MicroWeld seam construction, protect you from intense rainfall, no worry any tests in the rain, even inclement/foul weather.
- Double entry front pockets. Front zip with snap storm flap. Back cape for ventilation. Stowable hood. No noisy and comfortable fabric for ease of movement. Underarm and back vents help keep you cool.
- The waterproof rain gear will fit all your outdoor rainy day needs, like camping, walking the dog, doing yard work, commercial fishing, building and road construction.
- 【Shipping & Customer Service】UPS or USPS will deliver the item to your house in 2-6 business days after you placed an order. We packed the item as good as we can, if there is any damaged part, please offer us pictures of damaged part, we will try our best to give you a satisfactory solution.
100 Polyester that is lightweight
Vents underarm and back
Hood fly’s off easy
May feel hot on some users
4. Best heavy-duty rain gear
Our top choice for heavy-duty rain gear will help you stay dry and warm in foul weather. The front storm flap zipper helps keep water out in nasty conditions: front pockets and a back cape for ventilation help to stay dry and cool while wearing rain gear. Made from a PU fabric construction and welded seams, this is fully waterproof and windproof. We also like how this suit uses high reflective tape on the jacket, so it lights up at night when the light hits it.
- This stylish waterproof rain suit is designed and allow for easy dressing. The cuffs of this rain suit are elastic design for easy to wear, you can also put the pants in your boots or shoes, make you dry better. Drawstring on the waist, pants top and jacket hood for easy fit and keep the rain out, totally waterproof.
- Front zip with snap storm flap. Double entry front pockets. Back cape for ventilation. Stowable hood. Underarm and back vents help keep you cool.
- This heavy-duty rain gear is made from durable and high quality of materials. The rain suit is PU fabric construction. Welded seams. Fully wind and waterproof, allows you easy move too. Durable and flexible, the best choice for you to choose this durable waterproof rain suit.
- DURABILITY – The perfect rain suit for hiking, biking, ATV, hunting, fishing, or any outdoor activity where waterproof breathability is a must.
- SAFETY RAIN SUIT –To keep you safe at night, the raincoat is high visibility yellow, designed with highly reflective tape on the jacket and pants. The high reflective tape keeps you high visibility on a misty rainy day. We provide professional customer service before and after your purchase, enjoy our 24-hour response guarantee.
PU fabric construction
Hood could be larger
May run hot
5. Best Lightweight rain gear
Those looking for a lightweight option of rain gear while fishing may like the Classic Rain suits for Men. These suites are waterproof and breathable, making them comfortable when fishing in rainy conditions. Made form a high-density waterproof Nylon with PVC coating. The mesh lining this raingear uses will also get better air circulation. There is ample room to store stuff while in the jacket with two pockets. This jacket and pants set have many uses, including fishing, hiking, hunting, and walking outdoors. Most will find this very well-priced set helpful when foul weather approaches.
- ☔WATERPROOF & BREATHABILITY – Made of high density waterproof Nylon with PVC coating. And soft Mesh lining improve air circulation and keep your skin more comfortable. Keep you dry and comfortable in the wettest weather.
- ☔PERFECT DESIGN – Elastic cuffs and leg opening prevent rainwater infiltration effectively. Drawstring make the hood, waist and pants top more fit, and the rain pants can be put in your boots or shoes.
- ☔CONVENIENCE – 2 pockets of the coat with velcro cover, prevent your stuff from getting wet. 2 open pockets of the pants, provide quick access to the pockets below rain pants.
- ☔WIDELY USE – Perfect for daily working, fishing, cycling, hunting, hiking, Road construction, timber harvest, agriculture, mining, shipyards, forestry, utilities, food processing etc. It’s great for all occasions to wear.
- ☔SIZE – This rain suits fit normal US sizes to provide maximum comfort and loose fit, so please do check our SIZE CHART in the image or under product description to avoid improper.
Jacket and pants
Waterproof Nylon PVC coating
Not for heavy-duty use in hard rains
Zipper could be better
6. Best Cost-Effective rain gear
The ultra-lite rain suit from Frogg Toggs rank makes our list because of its many excellent features a lightweight rain suit. This suit comes with a jacket and pants and is made with Frogg Toggs breathable non-woven fabric. This makes the suite both lightweight, wind-resistant, and waterproof. The adjustable hood has a cord lock, storm flap, and front zipper. Those looking for a very light set will want to explore this option.
- WATERPROOF – Made with frogg toggs breathable, non-woven fabric that is waterproof, wind resistant and extremely lightweight. Perfect for light use when reliable waterproof protection is necessary. ASTM F1695 protection and blood penetration rated
- RAIN SUIT – Jacket and Pant included. The unique Polypropylene material provides an excellent, affordable, and reliable rain wear option
- FEATURES – Jacket features and adjustable hood with cord locks, full front zipper with storm flap and elastic cuffs. Pant features and elastic waist, straight leg design and stuff sack that fit s both pant and jacket
- USES – The Ultra Lite2 Rainsuit compresses easily and is perfect for backpackers, stadium seats, sports sidelines, golf bags, emergency kits or anywhere a lightweight rain suit is needed. The Ultra Lite is not designed for rugged use, wandering through brambles or areas where sharp objects could tear. For these uses we recommend you look at other frogg toggs Rain Suits for rugged use
- SINCE 1996 – frogg toggs has endeavored to provide the world’s best rainwear, waders, cooling products, footwear and accessories at the best possible prices
Jacket and pants
Not great for heavy-duty rains
Fishing Rain Gear buying guide
There are a few things you want to look for when it comes to rain gear. First and foremost, you want something waterproof. This is especially important if you’re out fishing in the rain. You want your gear to stay dry and maintain your day.
Second, you want something breathable. This is important because you don’t want to get too hot and sweaty in the rain. You want to be able to stay cool and comfortable.
Third, you want something affordable. There’s no need to spend a fortune on rain gear when there are plenty of affordable options on the market.
When it comes to the best rain gear for fishing, these are the things you want to keep in mind. If you can find something that meets all of these criteria, you’ll surely have a great day out on the water, no matter the weather.
Throwing a wet cast net can get you soaked. Using rain gear can keep you dry and comfortable while using a net
What features are important
This will depend on the person.
Some people might find that Gore-Tex is the most crucial factor, while others might say it is more important to have a rain suit that doesn’t make noise.
It is also essential to consider what type of fishing you will do. If you are going to be fly fishing in a river, you will want different gear than if you were fishing from a boat in the ocean.
Pockets with hand-warming fleece may be required if you live in much colder areas but may not be a priority in warmer climates. It is critical to think about what features are most important to you.
What type of materials are available
There are many different types of materials available for rain gear.
Some of the most popular options include Gore-Tex, PVC, and nylon.
- Gore-Tex is an excellent option because it is waterproof and breathable. It is also one of the more expensive options.
- PVC is another popular option because it is waterproof and affordable. However, it is less breathable than Gore-Tex.
- Nylon is a good option because it is lightweight and inexpensive. However, it is not as waterproof as the other two options.
How much does rain gear cost?
Rain gear can range in price from $30 to $500. The cost will depend on the brand, the materials used, and the features.
What are some features to look for?
Some features include waterproof, breathable, lightweight, and affordable.
What are some of the best brands?
What are the different styles available?
Bibs or Pants
This is a personal preference. Bibs offer more coverage but can be hot and cumbersome. Pants offer less range but are cooler and easier to move in and out of, so this choice will again come down to your situation and what you feel becomes a nascence vs. what you can put up with.
Parka or Jacket
Again, this is a personal preference. Parkas offer more coverage but can be hot. Jackets offer less range but are cooler. This choice will come down to your situation. Parkas keep you dry, especially if you sit on something wet as they fall lower on the back.
Questions and Answers
As a fisherman, what rain gear should you use?
The best rain gear for fishing should be waterproof and breathable. It should also be comfortable to wear for long periods.
What is the best material for rain gear?
The best material for rain gear depends on your needs. If you need something lightweight and affordable, nylon is a good option.
If you need something waterproof and breathable, Gore-Tex is a good option. If you need something waterproof and affordable, PVC is a good option.
What are the different styles of rain gear?
The two most popular styles of rain gear are bibs and pants. Bibs offer more coverage but can be hot and cumbersome.
Pants provide less range but are cooler and easier to move in and out of than a Bib-style suit. The best style for you depends on your needs.
The best rain gear for fishing is the gear that meets your needs. There are many different materials, brands, and styles available. Gore-Tex, PVC, and nylon are all popular materials.
Some features include waterproof, breathable, lightweight, and affordable. The best style for you depends on your needs. Bibs offer more coverage but can be hot and cumbersome.
Pants provide less coverage but are cooler and easier to move in and out of.
Parkas tend to keep your dryer, especially if you are sitting on something wet, as they fall lower on the back. In the end, the best rain gear is the rain gear that works best for you.