We use affiliate links and when a purchase is made we may receive a small commission. Read more about us.
When it comes to fishing for bass, plastic worms are one of the most popular and effective baits out there. But with so many different options on the market, it can be hard to know which ones are the best. So here’s a look at some of the best plastic worms for bass fishing, based on water conditions and other factors.
We reviewed many worms but selected what we thought are some of the best types of plastic worms for bass fishing. We understand there are so many options and colors that it will be impossible to add all of these baits to our list. If you have a favorite add it to our comment section.
- Quick View of our top plastic worms
- Our Top Plastic Worms for Bass Fishing
- plastic worms comparison chart
- 1. Best Overall Plastic Worm
- 2. Best Senko Worm
- 3. Best Yum Plastic Worm
- 4. Best Trick Worm
- 5. Best Bulk Bag for Wacky worms
- 6. Best Berkley PowerBait Plastic Worm
- Top Plastic worm kits
- Plastic worm buying guide
- Rigging technique
- Final thoughts
plastic worms comparison chart
1. Best Overall Plastic Worm
The Culprit Original Worm is one of the most popular plastic worms on the market, and for good reason. It’s a versatile bait that can be used in a variety of ways, and it comes in a wide range of colors. The Original Worm is also available in a number of different sizes, so you can choose the perfect one for the fish you’re targeting. More bass have been taking on the Culprit than probably most other worms. You should have this in your box.
- Tail moves in the water and even on the bottom
- Natural action attracts fish
- Measures 7-1/2-inches
- Comes in an 18-pack
- Culprit has been a proven leader for more than two-and-a-half decades
- Excellent colors
- Excellent tail action
- Can be fished weightless or with weight
- Good amount of worms at 18 a pack
- Great natural action
- May rip easy after a hooking a fish
- Country Of Origin : United States
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 1.25 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 6 Inches
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 1.25 Inches
- Yum Dinger green pumpkin chartreuse is a great color for stained and even clear water
- Good quality
- Good price
- Great action
- Can be fished weldless and weightless with great action
- No action in tail
- PACK OF 25 BULK BAG – 25 Pack of 5″ Wacky Worm Bass Fishing Lures MADE IN USA molded with soft, flexible plastic with sharp rib cuts and fine rubber works for superior presentation and durable long term performance
- SCENTED WITH ANISE FLAVOR – Most popular Anise scent infused and coated a proven bait attractant that smells in fast or finesse presentations to make Bass say yum to your lure!
- RIG UP YOUR BASS WORMS – Zoom into Largemouth Bass & Smallmouth Bass by rigging lures up in a Wacky Rig, Texas Rig, Ned Rig, Carolina Rig, Drop Shot and more. Works with all common Bass fishing hooks & weights. Best with wacky o rings sized 1/4″ or 6mm
- CLASSIC FISHING WORM COLORS – Green Pumpkin, Red Watermelon Candy, Pumpkin Seed, Black Blue Flake, Junebug, Chartreuse, Pearl Silver, and Bubblegum
- DESIGNED BY FISHING GUIDES – Experts give you premium quality stick baits at a huge bulk size savings to fill your bass fishing tackle box with essential gear and equipment
- Great buy at 25 a bag
- Great color
- Scented infused
- Can rig using different methods
- No tail action like a curly tail
- Ribbontail design swims naturally on the fall with twitches and short hops
- Soft but firm texture irresistible to fish
- Ideal for fishing all your favorite lakes, rivers and streams
- Ribbon tail design swims naturally on the fall with twitches and short hops
- Soft but firm texture irresistible to fish
- Ideal for fishing all your favorite lakes, rivers and streams
- Excellent action in the tail
- Soft design so fish hold on longer
- Great neutral color
- May rip easy after catching a fish
Top Plastic worm kits
- 🐟【30 Pieces Senko Worms kit】5 colors, a pieces of 30 5-inch Senko Worms ，10 pieces of 1/0 Wacky Hooks and 10 pieces of Jig Mold Hooks.Comes with a fishing box, easy to carry.
- 🐟【Fatal Temptation】The surface of our Fishing Worms is attached with a high concentration of natural oils, infused with the fennel aroma of the most popular bait bait, which will have a fatal attraction to the target fish.
- 🐟【Colorful Colors】 5 tested and proven colors help you match the hatch on any body of water,it infused with sparkling sequins,reflecting light from all directions for better.These senko worms Can better attract the attention and attack of fish in the water.
- 🐟【Soft and Durable】 “SANTKOL” worms have fine workmanship, softness and toughness, and are softer than traditional plastic baits and 30% salt particles impregntation provide ideal sink rate. When it slow falling into the water and its “quivering” swimming motion as it moves across the surface is irresistible to perch and other fish.
- 🐟【Fishing Skills】If you are a newbie who wants to fish bass, this is your ticket.When thrown, the plastic worms will slowly sink, and the angler slowly retract or twitch quickly, constantly producing jumping, dragging, falling swimming action. You will have unexpected results.
- 133PCS WACKY WORM LURE KIT – Including 1 Wacky Rig Tool, 32pcs 5.5″ Wacky Worm in 4 color, 10pcs Wacky Weedless Hooks, 20pcs Worm Hooks, 30pcs wacky rig O-rings, 40pcs weights and a plastic divider storage case. Great for beginners or experienced fishermen.
- DOUBLE COLORED SOFT LURE & LIFELIKE BODY – Made of soft, flexible plastic, which superior presentation and durable. Highly detailed soft plastic, more lifelike body and action. Each 5.5″ worm lure is double colored, can attact curious fish and helps you land more fishies.
- WACKY TOOL & UNIQUE DESIGN – The aluminum worm rig tool features incredible rust-resistance, ideal for fishing in saltwater, unique design with o-rings protects the hook from tearing out due to violent hits.
- WACKY HOOKS & WEIGHTS – Wacky Weedless Hooks made of stainless steel, high strength, anti-rust and keeps lures snag-free. Worm Hooks made of high carbon steel with black nickle. High strength and durability, perfect for saltwater and freshwater Fishing.
- Best Fishing Lure Set & With A Free Tackle Box – It’s the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiancé, boyfriend. Fishing tackle set collects nearly all accessories including fishing lures, hooks, Jig and so on, an overall fishing lures kit for saltwater and freshwater. Perfect for ocean, lake, river, reservoir, pond and stream.
- FANTASTIC NED RIG KIT– It’s a fantastic bass-foolin’ technique, and the XFISHMAN Ned Rig Kit has everything you need to start honing your Ned Rig fishing skills.
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE — the Ned Rig fishing technique is centered on rigging small buoyancy soft-plastic baits on light jigheads. Creates a slow flutter and darts toward the bottom. giving an irresistible presentation to any bass that might be lurking nearby.
- VERY EASY TO FISH –What separates special material plastics from other soft plastics is their life-like action, natural buoyancy, and unmatched durability. XFISHMAN NED STICK WORM baits not only look great, but they are also up to 10X tougher than other plastics. They resist nicks, cuts, and that means you’re likely to catch a lot more fish on STICK WORM before having to replace them. perfect for beginners and children
- KIT’S NED JIGHEADS– Ideal for finesse applications and the very popular Ned rig technique, the Ned Jig Head was built to give your Ned rig optimal performance and maximum action.
- MONEY-SAVING KIT–Ideal for bass, but also effective for panfish and trout to white bass and drum. Inside this money-saving, 35-piece assortment of all classic-color XFISHMAN Ned Rig Kit, you’ll find 25 pcs 2.75″ Ned STICK WORM. and 5pcs 1/10 oz. Finesse Mushroom Jighead, 5pcs1/6-oz. Finesse Mushroom Jighead.
- Package – All fishing tackles are packed in a double-layer box which is easy to carry, and convenient to get the exact fishing tackles you need.The fishing lures are both suitable for freshwater and saltwater.
- Pick It Up -The fishing lures box set comes with 64pcs necessary fishing lures and accessories: covering Crankbaits ,Top-water Soft Fishing Lures, Metal Spinning Lures, Spinnerbaits, Hooks, Jig Hooks, 10 different Plastic Worms, reliable and all-around choice for any angler and fishing enthusiast and Free Tackle Box. Suitable for all sorts of fishing conditions.
- With A Free Tackle Box – Best Fishing Lure Set For Fishing. Bring it with your fishing trip, easily fits in your fishing seat box, fishing backpack and fishing vest’s pocket, Make your fishing more convenient, no need to worry about miss lures and accessories. It will not let you down.
- Ideal Gift – It’s the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiancé, boyfriend. Fishing tackle set collects nearly all accessories including fishing lures, hooks, Jig and so on, an overall fishing lures kit for saltwater and freshwater, Perfect for ocean, lake, river, reservoir, pond and stream.
- Multiple Fishing Lures Kit：Whatever your fishing needs are, you can handle them with the array of lifelike crankbaits, Jig，soft lures, shrimp lures, hooks, and more perfect for fishing in the sea, rivers and lakes.
Plastic worm buying guide
Below are some basic rules to follow when purchasing plastic worms. This will help you understand color selection and hook sizing.
Understating water clarity and bait color
In clear water, a bright color like chartreuse or pink is often most effective, as the fish can see it more easily. For stained or dirty water, darker colors like black or purple are usually better, as they are less likely to be seen by the fish.
Size and hook selection
When it comes to size, plastic worms can range from just a few inches long to over a foot. Smaller worms are better for targeting smaller fish, while larger worms are better for targeting larger fish. as a general rule of thumb, look for worms between 6.5 inches up to 7.5 inches. But larger worms in the 10-inch class are excellent for larger largemouth bass.
As for size, smaller worms (4-6 inches) are usually best in clear water, while larger worms (7-10 inches) work better in stained or dirty water.
Finally, hooks should be sized accordingly based on the size of the worm. For smaller worms, use a size 1 or 2 hooks; for larger worms, use a size 4 or 5 worm hook. A good rule of thumb is to match your hook size to the size of the worm you are using. If you have a larger 10-inch worm, you will need to scale your worm hook to a size 5/0 or 6/0. 7.5-inch worms can accommodate a 3/0 worm hook well.
When fishing with plastic worms, a few different rigging techniques can be used to make the most of your time on the water. You will need to adjust your rig accordingly depending on the type of worm you are using and the size of the fish you are targeting. Here are a few of the most popular methods for rigging plastic worms:
The Texas rig is perhaps the most popular method for fishing with plastic worms. However, this rig is incredibly versatile and can be used in various situations.
To tie a Texas rig, start by threading your worm onto the hook so that the point of the hook is poking out of one end of the worm. Next, twist the point of the hook around to create a small loop, which will keep the bead in place and act as a stopper.
The Carolina rig is another popular option for fishing with plastic worms. This rig is often used when targeting larger fish, allowing the worm to move freely and entice even the most finicky of eaters. Here is how to tie a Carolina rig.
A wacky rig is a good option when fishing in areas with heavy vegetation, as the weedless design of this rig will help you avoid snags. h
Drop shot rig
The drop shot rig is a an excellent choice when fishing in deep water vertically, as it allows your worm to suspend just off the bottom. Unfortunately, a drop shot rig can also be deadly when water gets boiling and fish become lethargic and slow down.
What is the best color for a plastic worm? There are so many colors to choose from it would be impossible to narrow it down . With that said for beginners we suggest going with a darker or black color worm if you are just starting out. The rule is clear water use light colors and darker water use dark colors.
What size worm should I use? Look for a worm size around 7.5 inches if you are just starting out.
Why do bass like plastic worms so much? Because small snakes and live worms are natural prey to a bass and these plastic worms resemble this prey really well.
No matter what rig you choose, fishing with plastic worms can be an incredibly effective way to catch bass. By experimenting with different colors, sizes, and styles of worms, you can find the perfect bait for your next fishing adventure. Plastic worms are also very easy to fish and can be rigged in different ways to catch fish in different scenarios. From beginners to a pro, using a plastic worm can be a great way to catch that lunker bass.